Malegaon blast case: Lt Colonel Purohit out on bail after 9 years

Malegaon blast case: Lt Colonel Purohit out on bail after 9 years

Malegaon blast case: Lt Colonel Purohit out on bail after 9 years

NEW DELHI: Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Purohit was released from prison in the afternoon on bail after nine years in prison after being charged in the Malegaon case.

Purohit was released from Tajola prison in Maharashtra after the Supreme Court granted him bail on Monday. The completion of the proceedings took a few days, which is why Purohit was not released immediately after being released on bail in the case of Malegaon 2008.
Purohit moved India’s upper court after an order from the Bombay High Court rejected his bail. He was arrested in 2008. He told the SC that he was acting as a military lunar and that he was not involved in terrorist activities.

At a hearing last week, leading lawyer Harish Salve, who appears on Purohit, said he had been in jail for nine years but has not yet been charged.

He added that an indictment against Purohit under the Maharashtra Organized Crime Control Act (MCOCA) has already been abandoned and, therefore, is entitled to a provisional bond.

A special MCOCA court had previously determined that the Terrorism Team had enforced the law against Purohit and 10 others.

Attorney General Maninder Singh, compared to the National Investigations Agency (NIA), said there was evidence against Purohit that would help establish a charge.

On May 5, the High Court had requested a response from the NIA and the Maharashtra government on Purohit’s bail request.

Seven people were killed in a bombing on 29 September 2008 in Malegaon, a community textile town in the Nasik district north of Maharashtra.

The 4000 page billing sheet claimed that Malegaon was selected as the target of explosion due to a major Muslim population. He named Pragya Thakur, Purohit and co-defendants Swami Dayanand Pandey as the key conspirators.

In addition, he claimed that it was Pandey who had asked Purohit to organize RDX, while Thakur owned the motorcycle used in the blast.

Ajay Rahirkar, another defendant, allegedly organized funds for the law of terror, while conspiracy meetings were held at the Bhonsala military school in Nasik.
Rakesh Dhawde, Ramesh Upadhyay, Shyamlal Sahu, Shivnarain Kalsangra, Sudhakar Chaturvedi, Jagdish Mhatre and Sameer Kulkarni were the others accused.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *